Chia Seed Granola Bar Recipe
Delicious bar full of energy!
- 1 1/4 cups crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup packed pitted, soft dates
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted or toasted nuts or seeds, such as pumpkin seeds, almonds or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened nut or seed butter, such as almond, cashew or sunflower
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a bit extra on the sides to lift out easily and spray with nonstick.
- Pour the warm water over the dates and let sit for about 10 minutes. Then towel dry and chop finely in a food processor or by hand.
- Combine in a large bowl the cereal, oats, nuts, chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Add dates to the bowl and gently mix.
- Combine the nut or seed butter and honey in a small pan over medium-low, stirring for 3 minutes until begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.
- Immediately pour the nut butter over the cereal mixture, gently combining until incorporated.
- Carefully transfer to the pan. Place a large piece of plastic wrap coated with nonstick spray and press the mixture until evenly spread out and uniformly covers the pan.
- Cool for 1 hour and using excess parchment lift carefully from pan.